Monday, March 24, 2014

Mormon Feminism – But don’t take my word for it…







I’ve been asked multiple times for more information on Mormon Feminism. “What is it? Why? How is it different from the Ordain Women (OW) movement? How is it the same as OW? I haven’t felt that women are unequal in the church; what are some examples of inequality that you see?”

It seems that lots of LDS folks are relatively new to this conversation about feminism in our church. I thought about making a list, but that would be beating a dead horse and reinventing the wheel and lots of other sayings that mean that someone else has already done this, better than I ever could.


So here is a list of some of the most influential articles and blog posts that I have read. I’ll probably add more as I go. And PLEASE add your own in the comments if you feel there is something I have overlooked or don’t know about.

This is an LDS WAVE article called Ask A Feminist. It is one of the best articles I have read about gender inequality in the LDS church.

All Are Alike Unto God is another page that lists requests to the general leadership of the LDS church.

A New York Times article about questions that some LDS women have.

One woman's take on why OW is important and why she supports those who want it.

Common ground that both sides of the issue can find.

A specific example of an issue of gender equality regarding modesty in a letter written to local, area, and general authorities of the LDS church.

Archive of posts called Equality Is Not A Feeling.

And really, that's probably quite a bit to keep you busy. Some general websites are:
ldswave.org
ordainwomen.org
feministmormonhousewives.org
dovesandserpents.org

I think there's some pretty good stuff out there, but don't take my word for it! See what these awesome people have to say!

1 comment:

  1. I love your Reading Rainbow reference... loved that show as a kid, and I still sing the theme song with my kids all the time. I will read some of those links. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete